Monday, January 16, 2012

~Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins~

I got this recipe from here.  If you don't know her you should definitely check her out.  She has great tips on how to make healthier foods that your kids will enjoy, as well as tips on how to save money and keep the little ones entertained. 
I am a huge fan of pumpkin.  I love pumpkin bread, bars and now muffins. Unfortunately my husband does not share this love, so I never make anything because then I will eat. it. all.  Not a good thing for my dieting.  I actually made this recipe for some friends of mine who just had a baby.  I wanted to make a desert that was somewhat healthy as these friends are also aware of what they are putting into their bodies.  It made a huge batch and I kept a few at home for my family to enjoy, but not enough for me to engorge myself.  To my pleasant surprise, my husband loved them!!!  Yay for me... I mean, I'm glad I can please my husband by making something both delicious and healthy. 

Pumpkin Gingerbread Muffins:

1cup all-purpose flour                                                        
1 cup whole wheat  flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 350°F. s
Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray
In a large mixing bowl, stir together flours, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and sugar. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, vanilla and pumpkin.
Add to flour mixture and stir to combine.
Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until done when tested with a toothpick.
Move muffins to a wire rack to cool

Londa topped hers with a maple powdered sugar glaze. YUM!!! 
But they are just a delicious without the glaze. 

Note:  I like to make mini ones because they are bite size if you have a large mouth like mine.  Then you can justify eating 12 of them because that is just 12 bites, and 12 bites isn't too much of anything.... right?!?
Also, one can of pumpkin puree is just under 2 cups, so I like to double my recipe and freeze a batch, or take some to nice neighbors who snow blow our driveway for us because our little snow blower cannot handle some of the Iowa snowstorms, or when the street plow goes by and pushes 2 feet of snow at the end of our driveway.  I have nice neighbors.  And that was not this year.  This year we have yet to get any measurable snow and it is suppose to get close to 60 today.  60 in January, in Iowa???  I know....weird!






3 comments:

  1. Ah Jenn, you're too sweet! I'm so glad you like the muffins! Our husbands must be related--pumpkin disliker here too! Occasionally I can slip something by when it's covered in a lot of cinnamon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Londa, glad you liked it! Thanks for sharing all your tips and ideas with us!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete