Thursday, February 9, 2012

~Easy Homemade Valentines for Boys (and Girls)~

Well, now that Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Cancun, my birthday and the Super Bowl are over I am going to try to post less food.  Maybe once a week, maybe not.  I just don't know.  I feel like I have become a cooking blog and I want to be an EVERYTHING blog.  I don't ask for much, do I? 

I am in the working or thinking process of several projects.  I'll be honest, most of them are in the thinking process but that is because I am so indecisive that I just can't make up my mind.  I'm like that a lot

One thing I need to work on right away is valentines.  I usually buy them when they go on sale.  Like the 75-80% off sale........or more.  I'm cheap and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I don't buy the ones with candy.  They cost more.  I buy the simple, plain ones that might come with a sticker that is meant to hold them shut but since they are so cheap they really don't do that well either.  This year is different though.  I am going to MAKE them.  That's right.  You heard me.  MAKE them.  You can hold the applause for my awesome greatness until later;)

I did some research, on pinterest and google, and found two designs that my boys really liked.  Little D was so cute and wanted to make super hero ones for the boys and flowers for the girls.  What a sweetheart.  N didn't care what the girls wanted and decided that everyone was going to get the same thing because he thought they were awesome.  That is totally fine with me as well. 

My goal in doing this was for it to be easy, fun and to be able to do it in one day.  Under two hours total would be an added bonus. 

Step one:  Buy any supplies I needed
    Glow stick bracelets (found at Michael's or the dollar store for.....$1 for 15.  I bought two and will    
    have leftovers.
    Blow Pops.  I went crazy with these because they weren't on sale and were $2 a package and I had
    to buy 2 packages.  Don't worry.  I didn't break the bank and I think we can still keep our electricity
    on.
    Card stock in white and multi colored construction paper.  I had this so I'm saying it's free even
    though it technically is not.  But since other bloggers like to say "Oh, I had this huge pile of wood
    to build a new headboard and upholster it with fabric that I bought last week, so this project was
    free." I'm going to as well.
    Computer, printer, ink, markers.....ah. you get the picture.

We'll start with the Star Wars themed Valentines.


    Here is the link to get the light saber handle printable.
    Print off as many of these as you need
    Punch a hole where the light saber comes out
    Push your glow stick bracelet through and tape it down on the underside.  
    DONE!!!  That was SUPER easy and great for boys!!!

Super Hero themed Valentines:

To make these I used my Cricut.  I made the cape by taking a pentagon and stretching it out in my "sure cuts a lot" program.  I actually cut these out myself because I was away from home at the time, but if you are home let the machine do the work.  I created the mask by using circles and rectangles and shrinking them down to the desired size and "welding" them together so it would cut them as one whole piece and not individual pieces.  Make sure all the shapes are overlapping slightly or it will still cut them as individual pieces.
More hot glue, a marker to create the eyes or lenses and WALLAH!!!  These were the most time consuming, but honestly, Most of the time spent was creating the mask and getting it just right. 

Onto the Flowers:

Again, I used my cricut.  It makes everything easier.  OK, maybe not cleaning.  I'm sure they are working on one that can do that as well though.  I took a heart shape and stretched it to the size I wanted.  Then I had them cut out on different colors of paper.  Hot glue four hearts together, punch a whole in the center, hot glue (love that stuff) the sucker to the "petals" and DONE!!!  I don't think it can get much easier.  I think I will even make valentines next year too.....maybe may day baskets, and something for St. Patricks day.  OK, I'm getting a little carried away now.

I seriously had so much fun making these and there are SO many different ideas for homemade valentines on the web, so don't be afraid to look, find and CREATE!

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment