Saturday, February 4, 2012

~Superbowl Sunday?~

You may have noticed that I have been gone for a week, or two.  My husband and I took a MUCH needed trip away to celebrate our 10 year anniversary.  We went to Cancun and it was simply fabulous.  I just downloaded the pics and am still experiencing Cancun homesickness.  I REALLY wish we were still there.  I can still smell the food, feel the hot sun shining on me while I lay on the beach.

I did this for 3 days straight!

The other days we were travelling and sight seeing. 

The best part of the trip was that I had my husband ALL.... TO.... MYSELF!!!  I think that is the part I am honestly missing the most. (Insert fussing, tattling kids...ugh)

Now that we are back we get to celebrate something else.  Something on Sunday, which happens to be tomorrow.  Did you guess the Super Bowl?  Well, you are WRONG.  The Super Bowl is trying to steal my thunder this year by being on my birthday.  So, I have decided to celebrate for two days instead of one.  Actually, I tried to get 3 days but my husband thought that was being selfish.  He actually thought 2 days was selfish until he asked if we could take 2 vehicles to our Super Bowl destination, so he could stay later than the kids and I.  When I said no, he seemed much more willing to celebrate me for 2 days.  I am special, you know. 

So, what did I do today.  Well, Big D has been incredibly loving.  That's a great present all on it's own, but I decided to make my FAVORITE cake.  Red velvet cup cakes.  Not from a mix but from scratch.  For the first time EVER.... 

Here's how I did it.

Recipe is from Annie's Eats

Ingredients:

(makes 24 cupcakes)
2½ cups cake flour
1½ cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp. (1 oz.) liquid red food coloring (two of the little red coloring in my pic)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. distilled white vinegar

Note: I ran out of buttermilk before I made the cupcakes but I did find out that if you take 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar and then fill the cup up to the 1 cup mark with milk, then let sit for 5 minutes, you will have a homemade version of buttermilk.

Frosting:

8 oz. cream cheese (room temp.)
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter (room temp.)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2½ cups confectioners sugar, sifted

Add all the dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl and mix together with a wisk.  In a large mixer bowl mix together all your wet ingredients.
Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.


Oops.  I forgot to list something else you will need.

Cute liners!

Put your liners in your muffin pan and spray with cooking spray.
Fill each liner about 3/4 full.
Bake for 9 minutes in a 350* preheated oven.

Turn pan 180* and bake for 9 more minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes and then move to a wire rack.

For the frosting:
Cream the butter and cream cheese together.
Add the vanilla and mix.
Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar.

Frost and Enjoy!!!
Not that one though.  It's mine;)


No comments:

Post a Comment