Friday, September 30, 2011

~Craft Day~

Well a few days have gone by but I have been super busy crafting, fixing up, managing my husband while he fixes up;)  We HAVE been really busy and are getting a ton done.  I've also tried some new recipes.  My only wish with recipes is that everyone could agree for once.  There are usually at least two people in the family that don't like whatever it is I am making.  It can be quite deflating after working hard on a meal.
My highlight of the week was definitely Tuesday in which I was invited to a "Craft Day" at a neighbors house.  I had so much fun meeting new people and talking about common interests.  I can't wait to do it again.  There were several crafts to choose from, OH....and I must say that I am dealing with the green envy bug after being in the hostess' house.  I told my husband, numerous times, that day that her kitchen was a dream.  I came away with so many ideas that I got a headache from trying to contain them all.  OK.... not really, but I was overwhelmed with everything that I absolutely loved about her house.  I think next time I am there, I will snap some pics of my favorite things.  With her permission of course.
OK, so back to craft day.  There were several ideas and you could choose whatever and however many you wished to make.  I chose to stick with one and not overwhelm myself.  I'm glad I did too because I still got overwhelmed:P  I knew ahead of time what I was going to work on and what I was going to do with it.  Being my first craft day, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I pretty much went completely prepared with my idea and my supplies. 

This is what I started off with: 
A lovely vintage tray.  I love the retro feel but it definitely would not work in my house.  The other ladies decided to paint theirs with chalk board paint and use it as a cute chalk board for their kitchens.  Our host even had one done already as an inspiration piece.  It was super cute.  My inspiration was a magnetic board that I decided to personalize and use in an office space.

First off:
a couple coats of oil rubbed bronze spray paint!  Love!!

Then I carefully tried to center my stencil that I had made that morning via my cricut, onto the tray.  It was cut from contact paper, so I rubbed it on my pant leg for a few minutes to make it less sticky.  I was worried about it peeling some of the paint off.  It also took me a while to get it centered.  

Once I got my stencil where I wanted and covered the rest of the tray, I painted the stencil using heirloom white. 


The result:




As you can see, my stencil still took some of the oil rubbed bronze paint off and there is a little bit of touching up that needs to be done where some over spray got through, but the more I have had it sitting at my house, the more pleased I am with it. 
In order to use it as a magnetic board, my friends have suggested that I spray a clear coat on top to prevent the magnets from scratching the paint.

For the time being:
It is simply part of a display.
I now love where the stencil took off some of the paint.  It looks like an old piece and works great in our house.  It might move.  I have a couple of other places in which I think it would look great.  That's a good problem to have:)

So go off and have your own craft day with some friends.  I'm so glad that I stepped outside of my comfort zone of being an introvert, and going to meet some incredible ladies.  It was great to share stories of our lives, talk about our love to decorate and create and just have great fellowship. 
Have fun!!!

2 comments:

  1. It actually looks really good, Jenn. I'm really impressed you did what you did. And I'm going to link my craft day post to your's, so I'm glad you got it written up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen! I really enjoy reading your blog. It makes me want to get back into mine. Too bad we don't live closer because we like so many of the same things. I love making my house a home, decorating and crafts. I love your tray!

    ReplyDelete