Monday, September 26, 2011

~Managing the Mania Mondays~

Hubby and I were extra busy this last weekend and I can't wait to show you some projects that we got done, and are in the middle of. Mr. D got my deck power washed, so I was able to start staining it. Now it has gotten my brain to envision a mini makeover that won't cost a lot but will have major impact. I love those kinds of makeovers. I made some delicious recipes that I got off of Pinterest. You can see them here and here. AND a new office area might be in the works. It's currently in the "negotiation" process with the hubs. 

It's also Monday again.  I dread it and at the same time I look forward to it.  I'm so indecisive.  I love it because I go from four kids to just one and I love my time with my baby, but it also means another week of piano lessons, basketball and football practice, Awana and pushing the memorizing, practicing piano and reading logs.  Yes, I know I should also do that on the weekend, and we do, sometimes....when we think about it.....which might not be very often.  During the week I am expected to be at the top of my game, "Miss organization".  As my husband is off working to bring home the bacon, I am expected to keep the house picked up, get kids to everything that they need to get to, help them practice all of their things, and make meals.  OH, and be the law enforcement.  I really don't like the last one, but that one might be the most important. 
This week I'm showing you our "piano room".  That is pretty much all it is used for, so that is what we call it.  It also has a couple of small uses but the piano is the main item in the room, hence, "piano room". 

I think one thing that I have learned in trying to "manage the mania"  is that I can't do it alone.  I mean, I can, but I get really stressed and burned out picking up after 6 people all the time.  I get my family involved in the process to help cut down on the stress.  Sometimes this works, and sometimes it might cause a little more stress.  This room gets a lot of book bags dropped on the floor, school papers taken out and thrown on the floor ( because if you are 8 and younger, that is apparently the logical place to put them), hubby's shoes and gym bag, and because I, myself am not perfect....an occasional purse (logical place).  The key to keeping rooms picked up is to have a set place for those items that seem to accumulate.  This room isn't meant to accumulate anything except piano books.  It is meant to stay clean and picked up because, aside from the entryway and stairs, it is the first thing people see when they are standing at or inside my front door.  So the purpose for this room is simple and every problem that seems to occur has a logical place to go that is well known to each owner of the problem.  Fancy wording, I know :)  Gettin my smart on ;) 
I do have one storage area in this room.  I think every room should have some kind of storage, even if it's small.  I also think it's a great idea if it is attractive, fits the space and can maybe do double duty.  Ours is a cedar chest that used to belong to my grandmother.  We use it as seating and it also holds school work for my kids to do during the summer, reading books for my "learning to read" children and a school box with crayons, pencils, erasers....anything my kids might need to complete their homework that they bring home from school.  It is easily accessible and they know exactly where to go to get it and put it away.  That is KEY people!!!  I can't stress it enough.  They must know 1:  Where to get and put things and 2: it must be easy for them to do.  If it's too hard, too high, or too far away... they won't do it or they will need to ask you to help them do it.  The last key, if this is new to them, is to remind them each time until it just becomes habit.  It took my kids a couple of weeks to remember, but now they are pros at it.
I have one more suggestion if you have a room like this.  There are some things that I am just ok if they stay out.  Example:  piano books.  If they are put away, I forget and the kids forget to practice.  If they are out, sitting on the piano and ready to go, we walk by that space all the time and are constantly reminded that they need to practice.  Life isn't perfect and neither does your house need to be.  Organized in a usable manner is what I am looking to achieve.  I live here along with 5 other people.  This is not a show house, it is our loved house that we use all the time.

1 comment: